Linking Memory

Our sensei at Shichida Method has introduced the Linking Memory program at the beginning of this term. However, little Edison shows very little interest in it.

The Linking Memory is a unique memory program that is designed based on the unique photographic memory linking system using fun and whimsical stories. It is well-loved by many children.

It utilizes the right brain’s ability to record, store and recall images by linking each image with another by stories. These stories are silly and nonsensical, but they stick well in our mind.

In order to cultivate his interest in Linking Memory, I need to practice with him more often at home. I bought a home practice kit for $12. It consists of 72 picture cards and 18 short stories.

Linking Memory Home Practice Kit

How to do it?

1. For a beginner, start with 5 to 6 cards. Gradually increase the number of cards based on the child’s progress.
2. Make a story that links all the cards. Any silly story, even if it doesn’t make sense!
3. As you read out the story, flash the cards when the relevant words are pronounced.
4. After reading the story, flash the cards again in the same order and read out the words only (skip the story this round).
5. Next, ask the child to arrange the cards based on the sequence that they were presented.

Here’s an example:

Linking Memory Example

Round #1 (Read the story and emphasizes the key words):

The vegetables are cut into small pieces and sold as sweater which Grandpa wore. He then ran upstairs and found a huge departmental store.

Round # 2 (Repeat the key words only):

Vegetables, sweater, Grandpa, ran upstairs, departmental store

Last night, I attempted to practice Linking Memory with little Edison (our first time). He was not interested at all, he turned away the moment I flashed him the picture cards. Oh boy!

Nonetheless, I’m going to try my luck again tonight.

Smile

Comments

• Emily says

Hi Jen,
      I bought it from Shichida… $12 only for the beginner set (for 2 y/o)…. If u wan, I can help buy for u… Let mi noe… :)

• Jennie says

Hi Emily, pls help me check if they have any for Desiree’s age (4-5 years old) and how much. If have and not too expensive, I wanna buy! =)

1. florence says

Hi Emily … hehe may I know where dd you buy the photomemory kit? Keith is starting right brain training class and wanna buy this for him to practice at home too. :)

Hi Florence,
      I bought it from Shichida… Not sure if other book store like Popular has it, I have yet to check.. If you want, I can get it from Shichida for you… :)

2. florence says

Do they have the advance set for 3 years old too? hehe yes please get one set for me so i can practice with hazel too! :)

Hi Florence,
      Yes, they have. I saw 2 sets there – one for beginner (2 y/o) and one for intermediate (3-4 y/o). The intermediate one comes with CD and more pictures, but I didn’t check out the price. If you want, pls sms me. I can get for you this Saturday. :)

3. fifi says

hi Emily
    Can you help me get one set of beginner linking memory kit (2 years old )from shicida tensai ? the kit come with the story line right ?

Hi Fifi,
      Yes, it comes with the story lines. I can help to buy, but how r u going to collect it from me leh?

Hi Fifi,
      Linking Memory from SM – $12 for 72 picture cards. But they don’t have the A5 flash cards. So, I have to flash with the smaller cards.

Linking Memory from BP – $30 for 50 pictures. Slightly more expensive, but they have the A5 size flash cards. Make practice easier too.

For beginner level, I prefer the BP because of the A5 flash cards. It easier to flash with A5 and let our kids arrange with the smaller cards.

For advanced level, I prefer the SM set. It comes with VCD, more pictures and different speed.

Hope it helps. :)

4. fifi says

Hi Emily ,
    Thanks for your advise .
    So the set you bought (2 years old ) not come with VCD ?
    Could you please help me buy the set (2 years old ) ? where do you stay or work ? i can go to your side and collect from you .
    Many Thanks !

5. CM says

Can you help me to check price for 3 years old linking memory kit? What is inside the package? Thank you.

Hi CM,
      Linking Memory for 2 y/o and 3 y/o are the same – picture cards and story lines. 72 picture cards and ~$15 per set (if I’m not wrong)… For 4 y/o and above, it comes with a CD.

6. says

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time now :). When I read your typical weekday schedule entry, I can’t help but salute you for investing so much time with Edison.
    My son is 5 months old now and I have taken half a year leave to care for him (I teach :)). I am quite worried that once I get back to work, I may not be able to spend so much time with him but you’ve truly inspired me. I guess it’s more of effort and committment. He’s on GD programme and I am probably going to send him for Shincida lessons too :)
    Wishing you a happy Chinese New Year in advance and thank you for your generosity in sharing :)

Hi Irene,
      You are most welcome! =)
      I’m doing all that I can to spend more time with Edison. In fact, there are lots of sacrifice too. I missed hanging out with my girlfriends, doing some personal things like regular exercise, shopping etc. When I’m off work, I concentrate all my attention to my son.
      He’s a very loving boy. These days, he always wait for me to come back from work. He keeps saying “Mama, come home early” while he waits for me. He will run to me and hug me as soon as I reach home. Nothing can replace these moments in my life.
      I’m sure you will be able to manage your time efficiently when you rejoin the workforce. You can do it!
      Happy Chinese New Year to you too!

7. says

May I know when should we start PM? My son is 9 mths old and would like to do something else besides GD with him. :)

Irene

Hi Irene,
      Frankly, I do not know the ideal age to start. But my son started at the age of 9-10 months old too. Till now, he still enjoys practising flash cards and photomemory cards with me. He is coming to 3 years old this Sept.

8. micollh says

Emily,

just to share my my girl’s progress, we have been playing the Tensai CD while she points at the picture on the card (set 1A,2A,3A), she is able to arrange all cards on her own after 2 repetition. which amaxed me. last time, we use to just read to her, flash the cards then ask her to arrange, she is not intersted at all.. but with the 1,2,3A set that we tried with her, with the CD playing, she can remember so fast.

maybe also now, it’s time for her to “output” what she learns ? since we have been inputting to her since she is at tender age of 18 months old.

do you still do LM with Edison ? maybe u will see a difference now compare to last time..

cheerss :)

• Emily says

Good to hear about your girl’s progress. I’ve stopped doing LM with Edison because he wasn’t interested at all.

Hi Irene,
      Below the age of 2, it is mainly input and exposure. That’s what the teacher said too.

9. says

My son is 2.5 years and we learn for a year Linking Memory. I am quite sure that he is listening to the story and he sometimes uses the words of the story, but he do not want to put the pictures in the correct order. It puts the images together and simply ignored the problem. Should I proceed anyway, or something change?
    Thank you!
    Francoise

Hi Francoise,
      You can try to arrange the pictures with him. Ask him which one is the first picture. When he points out the picture, you put the picture as #1. Then, you repeat again to ask him the second picture. See if this helps.

Maybe he doesn’t know how to arrange the pictures in sequence, but you can guide him. I’m sure he has something in his mind since you mentioned that he is listening to the story as you read out.

10. Karen says

Thank you for sharing about the linking memory strategy. I have been searching for materials for my 3yr old son and feels lucky to come across your website. Thank you so much for sharing!!

May I know what does “BP” of the Linking Memory – $30 for 50 pictures stand for? Do you know where I can buy it?

Could you please help me buy the Shichida (Beginner 2-3yrs old) set and Shichida Advanced level set with VCD and I will collect from you at your convenience?

Hi Karen,
      BP means bulk purchase from the Singapore Motherhood Forum. These are a few sellers organising educational materials (used in Shichida) in the forum. I’m sorry, my son is no longer with Shichida this year, thus I can’t help to purchase the linking memory sets for you.

11. Cherlyn Lu says

Thanks for your sharing. I am from UK and we don’t have any Shichida school here. I planning to start LM with my daughter who is about 18 months old now, but I still not very sure how to start .

1. How long should I use the same set of LM cards(6 cards story)? Let say, I plan to start with 6 cards with some silly own create story. Should I retire the cards when she able to memorise all 6 keywords or able arrange them in the right order?

2. If after she get used of the LM, i plan start a 100 pics LM programme with her. From day 1, i start with 10 cards. do i need to wait until she able to recite the 10 keywords then I gradually add another 10 cards? Does it means, at this point, i shall tell the same story(pic1-10) then add in another story(pic11-20) and so on, till a story of 100 pics?

Hope to hear from you soon. Cheers.

Hi Cherlyn,
      I’m so sorry to inform you that I’m unable to assist in your enquiries. Reason: 1) We left Shichida school more than 2 years ago and 2) I’ve stopped practising LM with my son too.

Hi rey,
      I bought the Linking Memory from Shichida when my son was still enrolled with them.

12. Donna says

May I know why you stopped schichida? Was it not working for your child?
    Do you know if shichida lm can be bought online? Do you have the link?

Hi Donna,
      My son was with the school for about 2.5 years, and we stopped because the lessons were getting too advanced and my son started to lose interest. I don’t think the Shichida materials can be purchased online. You may want to check out the Singapore Motherhood Forum. There are some online stores that sell similar products like Linking Memory, though not exactly the same.

13. rama says

HI , i purchased the linking memory kit for 3 to 4 yrs old , it has cps , can anyone let me know how to practice with it ?