Photographic Memory Home Practice

Sometime in Nov last year, I talked about home practice on photographic memory. Do you still remember? I managed to find some good pictures and made them into flash cards. I promised that I will share with you, so please click HERE to download the file.

I have some new ideas for the flash cards. We can actually use Powerpoint clip arts to create two similar pictures. Let me show you two examples:

Example #1:
1. Insert four clip arts into one slide.

2. Copy the first slide over to the second slide. Modify one or two clip arts on the second slide.

3. The clip art on the bottom right of the slide has been changed.

Example #2:
1. Insert one clip art into one slide.

2. Copy the first slide over to the second slide. Add one clip art on the second slide. (I’ve added a sun into the second slide!)

3. These two slides now look slightly different. We can use them to practice on photographic memory.

I’ve made a few flash cards using these methods. If you are interested, please click HERE to download them.

January 13, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Thanks for sharing, Emily.

As for the font size, I opt for 12px.
    hope it helps

January 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM

Hi Sam,
      Thanks for your comment. Okie, font changed back to 12px (so as not to strain our eyes…. hehehe…)

March 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Thanks for sharing, Emily.

May I know if it is necessary to use colour printer for the flash cards?

March 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Hi Jesslyn,
      Yes, we should use a colour printer. Black and white flash cards maybe too dull to capture their attention.

March 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM

I tried flashing cards (ready made) to my 2 yrs old boy. But he is too active to sit down for the flash cards. He either snatches the cards or moves away. He will be starting the Shichida Method soon and I am worried he will not be able to follow up.

How do you make Edison concentrates on the flash cards?

March 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM

Hi Jesslyn,
      All I have to say is – be patient, it takes time. Initially, Edison was not interested in flash cards too. He climbed up the table, crawled on the floor and make noise in his Shichida class.

After one term, he started to appreciate the learning. Now, after 3 terms, he loves flash cards so much. Every night, after I shower, he will cling to me and wants me to flash the cards.. Sometimes, I’m too tired to do it but he still insists..

He will be happy whenever I make new flash cards for him…

March 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Thanks Emily for your encouragement!

May 9, 2009 at 12:12 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I have a question about photographic memory. When should we start practicing this skill? My child is 1y9 months. Is she old enough ?

May 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Hi LittleMiuMiu,
      Yes, you can start photographic memory practice with your little missy… It’s never too young or too old for it…. 🙂

bolop agnes
    May 27, 2011 at 5:30 AM

I am a french teacher, living in the east of France. As I was looking for a game or flashcards I found your blog. Just a lot of thanks for your sharing of good ideas AND the taste you have because it is a true pleasure to read your pages, so soft and feminine
    Kisses from France!

May 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Hi Agnes,
      Thanks for your wonderful comment. You make my day. Kisses from Singapore too! 🙂

July 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Hi Emily!

I love reading your entries. Your principles and parenting style has struck a chord with me! I chanced upon your blog when I was researching on Shichida classes and found your tips very useful. I have just started on the classes i for my 11mth old son and have attended 2 classes so far. However my son has difficult concentrating on the classes and will get cranky and whiney after 30mins. I know one of the key tips is not to making comparison but i cant help feeling demoralised especially when the rest of the kids in his class are relatively well behaved and have longer attention span. During our home practice he will start crying and whining after being restrained on the high chair for 5 mins.

1. From your experience do you think home practice will help improve the situation?
    2. What do you suggest if my son consistently display negative emotions during the sessions?
    3. Another problem that i face is that as i am a full-time working mum, i only have time after work to do home practice. Do you think it is still viable to do the practice sessions at around 8pm every day?
    Appreciate your help! thanks!

August 1, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Dear concernedmomo,
      I’m sorry for my late reply, I almost missed out your comment.

1. I think every child react differently to the activities taught in class. My son particularly enjoys the photographic memory part, that’s why I made a lot of home practices for him. I do think that the home practice will help in your situation.

Home practice will help to create interest in the subject and hopefully it can capture his attention gradually.

2. Have you talked to the teacher about his negative emotions? I guess it’s too early to tell because you’ve just started two lessons. I’m sure the situation will improve soon.

During my son’s time, one of his classmates also displayed negative emotions at the beginning, but soon, he also settled down. So, please be a little more patient and I believe he will settle down eventually.

3. I’m also a FT working mom, and I used to practice with him around 8-9pm. My son didn’t sleep that early, so he could still concentrate.

If he’s not tired at that time, I think it’s Okay to do it at 8pm. Given that we need to work, we really have limited time to do the home practice.

All the best to you. And I hope this helps. Do talk to the teacher for advice as well.

August 1, 2014 at 9:14 AM

thanks emily! basically he is only intrsd in the songs and things that involved the use of multimedia during the class. not exactly a gd sign though. i cant be playing songs all the way for him during our home prac. yes i have communicated my prob to the teacher and her suggestion is to use the 5 mins suggestion method to correct his behavior. It hasnt worked so far, n it seems like he is turning more n more resistant. I wonder if it’s bcos i already feel demoralised and therefore affected him. in any case, i have asked my husband to take over (cos he is one with significantly more positive energy!) and will keep trying! will bear ur advice in mind! thanks!