Food & Health

A Fussy Eater

A toddler who refused to try a new food at least half of the time can be defined as a fussy eater. Unfortunately, little Edison is one of the member in this category. That is I’m always concerned about him not eating enough.

He is eating oatmeal and cereal for lunch and dinner. I find it quite unacceptable for an 18-months toddler to eat cereal, especially if it’s the same type of cereal which he has been eating since he was 8 months old. How weird! I wonder if he ever gets bored of eating that cereal.

(Is there any toddler who is still eating cereal, except my little Edison?)

Well, we tried cooking all sorts of new foods for him, i.e. porridge, noodles, mee sua and pasta. But he just refused to eat them.

In addition, I tried to make mealtime a family affair by allowing him to eat on the dining table with us. The result was awful! Or simply – beyond control! He rejects his own food and insists on eating our adult food.

image0081Today I made my second attempt to cook alphabets pasta with soup and egg for him. And I ended up eating my own pasta because he refused to eat again. I didn’t have a choice, but to feed him with cereal again.

🙁 Sigh. But never give up!

Dealing with a toddler who is a fussy eater isn’t fun or easy. I hope this mealtime battle will end pretty soon.

Huey Ling
    March 8, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Have you ever tried adding wolfberries into his poridge? & how about pumpkin poridge?

March 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM

He dislikes porridge… pumpkin is worst! Haha! not sure about wolfberries but I can try it… Thanks for your recommendation!

mummyyeo
    March 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Hi Emily, what cereal are you feeding your son? My son is 18mths and is extremely fussy too! He refuses to eat rice as his main meal and like you, I have tried cooking mee sua, beehoon and pasta but to no avail. Yet I can tell he is sick of his porridge. I wish someone would invent a pill for fussy tods with all the nutrients they need! Then we can stop this feeding time battle. =p

March 9, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Hi mummyyeo,

My boy likes Nestle Rice and Mixed Fruits Cereal.. It’s the only food that we can feed him with ease…

Initially, I bought a lot of varieties for him – Brown Rice, Wheat & Honey etc… But slowly, he gets bored with all these flavours except the Rice & Mixed Fruits flavour..

Wendy
    March 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Hey there, I have an almost 2 year old girl who’s a very fussy eater, in fact since birth. Would love to exchange stories. Wendy in Canberra

Wendy
    March 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Although I must say, it’s getting better now, and I believe part of the refusal was due to teething (she started teething at 4 months). She’s still not adventurous with new food, and is fussy not just on taste but on texture and colour as well. For example, she won’t eat anything that’s orange in colour, other than oranges.

March 23, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Hi Wendy,
      Nice to know you. My boy is fussy with new food. I’m also clueless on what to feed him now. I heard that hulled millet is good. I’m going to try this weekend.

Clara
    March 24, 2009 at 2:01 AM

My daughter is 26 months now, she started to eat fussy after 2. That made my mother headache, because she help me to take care my daughter. If she didn’t like that food, she will refuse to eat. Now I always go to find some kids recipes to try to make something news for her. I bought some cartoon mold for the rice and egg. It’s work, she likes it.
    For your case, I think you can add the cereal to the food which you want him to try, like you make the pasta, or you can add your new food to his cereal, let him try first, if he accept it, so next time you can increase the new food quantity to his cereal.
    When I changed to feed my daughter to solid food at that moment, I still have some cereal left, so I just put it on my new food to her. The Cereal was added some vitamin, DHA,etc, so that’s also good for him. Don’t give up, the kids need time to adapt the new thing.

Good luck

Clara from Toronto

March 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Hi Clara,
      Thanks so much for your valuable advice. Cartoon mold sounds like a good idea. I’ll try to search for the molds at Daiso.

And yeah, add cereal to the new food. Maybe it will be easier for him to accept the new food. Then, gradually reduce the cereal.

Thanks again. 🙂

yoki
    March 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM

hi emily,
    my gal is also a fussy eater. I tried to feed her oats once and she love it but thats the 1st and last time she ate. No matter what i mix with oats, she simply rejects. Most of the time, the 1st attempt for new food she can accept but 2nd attempt always failed.

I wish i can find a type of food that she love like edison, i dont mind her having the same food over again as long as its nutritous 🙂

Hopefully can find a menu for fussy toddlers soon.. ^.^

Cheers