Me Time

A Mother or A Woman?

Mother of TwoWhen I was young, I observed that almost all mothers looked the same – hardly any make-up on them, wore frumpy looking clothes and always a tired expression on their faces. In between diaper changes and midnight feedings, somehow they forgot to enjoy the privileges of being a woman.

When I was dining at MacDonald’s last weekend, I had my first real glimpse of a fashionable, confident and beautiful mother-of-two. With two toddlers in-tow (without a maid), she wore high heels, pretty make-up, kept her hair long, curled and well groomed. I was completely in awe of her.

This incident made a big impression on me, and I think that it’s important for all mothers, regardless of age, to put forth the effort to look nice. It doesn’t require a lot of money though, but it’s the time and dedication.

I looked at myself and I realized that I’m also in the midst of transforming from a woman to a mother! My cute little purses have changed into big and bulky diaper bags. I traded in my heels and platform shoes for more sensible flat shoes. After all, I can’t chase after Little Edison in heels.

When I was a single, I used to spend hours grooming my hair. Now, most of the time, I just throw it into a ponytail to avoid it being ripped out by his little hands. For the same reason, I stopped wearing accessories too. In terms of outfits, I don’t think I would wear a mini skirt or a tube top.

Time is another issue; I don’t have time to mix-and-match my clothes, accessories and shoes. I just have about ten minutes to dress-up with a little make-up on before leaving the house in a jiffy. I’m glad that I have a helper. Otherwise, I probably don’t even have ten minutes!

How did I end up this way? I definitely need to find my womanly self again. I need to wear heels one day. I miss my tube tops too. I want to stay fashionable, chic and confident while juggling my duties as a mother! Can I really do that?

catherine
    August 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM

it’s no doubt motherhood is rewarding yet challenging. Don’t worry, u are not alone. I m also finding myself turning from a woman to a mother… ” little purses have changed into big and bulky diaper bags. I traded in my heels and platform shoes for more sensible flat shoes. don’t have time to mix-and-match my clothes, accessories and shoes. I just have about ten minutes to dress-up with a little make-up on before leaving the house in a jiffy.”
    But I am also working hard towards transforming into a womanly-mother again! Let’s work hard! 🙂

August 3, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Hi Catherine,
      Let’s work hard together to achieve our target – a womanly mother! Hehehe!

Sin Yee
    August 3, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I look crappy on wkends at times. Hairband, or just bundle up my hair.

trick:
    A pair of oversized sunnies and a cap /hat does help to alleviate the “auntie” look , I hope.

August 4, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Hi SY,
      Thanks for sharing your tips… I think oversized sunnies are perfect!

watie
    August 12, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Well, it’s all in your head. Yes…. u will hv less time for yourself as you need to rush other things concentrating on yr loved cuties. Keep yr self tidy (very important), put on some make-up (at least powder, compact foundation is the best for quikie, mascara to open up yr tired eyes, a bit of blusher to put a fake healthy glow & skin toned lipstick/gloss to brighten up the whole face), read a lot of fashion magazine for inspiration and of course what ever you do, yr style must be in your comfort zone. Remember, u still need to chase your little ones….
    Gd luck!

maggie
    September 2, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Hi,Emily,i agreed with what u written…. most of the women transforming after having a cute little one….we really need to posses a very good time management skill,i trying very hard too,coz u know before we have baby, we have so much time to look after ourself n we only need to look after ourself!we can soak in the bathtub or take a over-time bath for 2 hours…wahahaha…let us work hard together :)i think u should be no problem to arrange and allocate ur schedule,ur blog is nice n ur life’s wonderful with cute edison 😀

September 3, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Hi Maggie,
      Thanks for your comment and e-mail. I apologize for not replying to you earlier. It has been a busy week due to Edison’s throat infection. Now, we are all back on track! 🙂

I read your blog and you are such a gorgeous mummy! At a first glance, I thot you r a celebrity mummy – you r really pretty… 🙂 I read your blog too, but unfortunately, I can’t really read Chinese… So I just look at the pictures in your lovely blog.. Keep up the good work!