Education & Enrichment

Starting Nursery One in 2010

Yesterday, I took half day childcare leave to visit a few church kindergartens. Little Edison is going to start his Nursery classes in one of these church kindergartens next year.

In Singapore, children aged 3 on 1st January can be admitted to the Nursery classes. Kindergartens function daily, five days a week, with schooling hours ranging from 3 hours to 4 hours each day. Most kindergartens function at least two sessions a day.

We shortlisted four church kindergartens in our vicinity. We visited them and we made our final decision yesterday. Our first choice will be Paya Lebar Methodist Church Covenant Kindergarten. St. Paul’s Church Kindergarten will be our second choice.

Most likely, Little Edison will have to attend the afternoon session, which starts from 11am to 2pm. Morning sessions are mostly fully booked, and we are on the waiting list. We prefer morning session so that we can send Little Edison to school before we go to work. The afternoon session coincides with his napping time, so it is less favorable for us.

Little Edison was excited over the idea of going to school, having a teacher, meeting new friends and reading new books. I observed him as he roamed around the classroom with excitement. At that instance, I realized that my baby has grown-up so much. I can still remember him as a tiny little baby and now he is a wonderful little boy who is going to start Nursery next year.

Wow, it’s just too fast!

Edison and his Bob The Builder bag

Little Edison with his new Bob The Builder schoolbag

sabrina
    October 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Hi

Just stumbled on your blog while googling for Convenant Kindy. My daughter is attending a childcare nearby and I intend to enrole her at Convenant. Any reason why you gave up Bethany Kindy as a choice? I am deciding between the 2 as well. A few days more to go before I sign up, your views appreciated!

October 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Hi Sabrina,
      Bethany is already full for year 2010 🙁 That’s why I have to go for other choices..

mico
    October 19, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Emily,

Then Edison will be in nursery class ? i thought for nursery, it has to be at least 30 months old ? by Jan 2010, Edison is younger than 30 months old ?

October 19, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Yes, he will start from Term 1 Year 2010. The kindergarten goes by calendar year, as long as they are born in year 2007, they can start Nursery 1 next year.

sabrina
    October 19, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Hi

Thanks for sharing. We have a place at Bethany but my friend’s kid attended Convenant and I was on waiting list. Just got confirmed there at 11am class. So maybe see you there at the Orientation in November?

October 20, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Hi Sabrina,
      I received confirmation from Covenant last week too, but we wanted the 8am session. Second choice will be 11am, still waiting for them to confirm the availability for 8am.

If Edison goes for 11am, then he will be your daughter’s classmate… 🙂 Yes, maybe we will see each other during the orientation…

I’m so excited about my boy going to school next year… We brought him to Covenant when we paid our deposit, he seems to love the place too…. 🙂

tona-mama
    May 28, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Hi, stumbled upon your blog while googling for bento tools 🙂 So unrelated..

But, I was so attracted and loved your posts and started reading and reading! Then I realised we are leaving in the same part of Singapore! So nice!

Anyway, I wanted to find out your views re the current preschool your son is attending and also Bethany and St Paul’s. Is Bethany also Sunbeam. Would you pls share? If not convenient to state here, can email me?

Thanks so much and God Bless!

June 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Hi Tona-mama,
      Thanks for visiting my blog. Regarding your question on the pre-school, here are my views:
      1. Bethany is not Sunbeam. It is located at Upper Paya Lebar. This school only has a single session in the morning. The first time I called them, I talked to the principal. She gave me a good introduction of their N1 syllabus and she said that I can visit the school to have a feel about it. There were still vacancies for N1. However, when I called her back two weeks later, she told me that there are no more vacancies and there are already many parents on their waiting-list. When I asked for a school visit, she declined my request. I was rather disappointed with the totally different treatment when the name list is full. Anyway, I also didn’t bother to visit them after that.

2. St Paul’s is good. I managed to visit the school after making pre-arrangement with the principal. The principal was not available to meet me in person, but she arranged a staff to bring me around. She even send the N1 syllabus to me via e-mail. Unfortunately, their morning sessions are all full. So, no luck for me.

3. My boy’s current pre-school is the best among all. I never regret sending him there. The principal, teachers and staffs are very friendly and caring. I love the various indoor and outdoor activities that they introduced at N1. If you want to know the name of his school, I can e-mail you. For security reasons, I did not publish the name of his school in my blog. =)

Sangita
    October 13, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Hi

Just came across ur blog while checking out on Bethany. Can you give me an idea of good christian schools in and around Sengkang area. By the way which school have you enrolled your son? Thanks in advance..

October 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Hi Sangita,
      I heard that St. Anne in Sengkang is good. Perhaps, you can search for reviews about this school from the internet. For security reasons, I don’t mention the name of Edison’s school in this blog. It’s located at Upper Paya Lebar. If you are keen to know, pls e-mail me. Thanks.

Kel
    June 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Hi there Emily

Stumbled upon your post.. I’m keen to know which nursery your son’s attending since you mentioned that the principal and teachers are good. I’m currently considering St. Paul’s, but would like to have more options. Look forward to your soonest reply. 🙂

Chantelle
    October 22, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Hi,

I’m staying around Serangoon area. May I know which school r u send ur child to and may I know the feedback of the school? Appreciate ur advise 🙂

October 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Hi Chantelle,
      Replied to you on Facebook. 🙂

esther
    November 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Hi EMily,
    Can i enquire which kindergarten you sent Edison to in the end?
    due to privacy u can email me
    I’m thinking of placing my boy in PLMC kindergarten, but they only have 2nd session available
    And it coincides with his naptime.
    Your advice very much appreciated!!:)

November 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Hi Esther,
      Yes, my son is studying at PLMC.

June
    November 17, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Stumbled upon your blog while searching for schools for my 3 year old daughter. I have shortlisted PLMC kindy as we stay near serangoon area. Hope to find out more about the school from you.. Environment, syllabus, enrichment etc. do email me if it’s inconvenient to publish here. Thanks so much!

November 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Hi June,
      The school is good, I’ve no complaints. You can call the office and see if they can arrange for a short tour for you. Then, you can assess the environment, talk to the teacher or principal about the syllabus. My son is into K2 next year, and he started since pre-nursery. He loves school so much! 🙂

Mag
    September 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM

The sch that ur son is attending is one of my choices for my girl, going on to k1 next year. Her current Christian school has high teacher turnover rate. We are very concerned and troubled over this. May I know if the teacher situation has been stable in his school? Thanks a lot for your input!

September 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Dear Mag,
      For the past 4 years when my son was in PLMC Kindergarten, the teacher turnover rate has been very low. In fact, I’ve only seen one who has left the kindy when he was in N2.

The teachers there have been teaching in that kindy for many years, it seems like they are very dedicated and enjoy teaching there as well.

Mag
      September 20, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Thanks Emily, yours words are deeply reassuring!

Angeline
    October 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Glad that i found your blog. I am going to register my son to PLMC n would like to get some information from u if u dont mind.

Does the school have cctv installed? Also, how do they communicate the child’s progress to parents? Isit through talking with the teacher when we send/fetch our kids? Or is there any communication book / regular parent teacher meeting?

Thanks a lot for your input 🙂

October 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Dear Angeline,
      Nice to meet you here. As of my son’s last year at the kindergarten, there was no CCTV installed. The parents and teachers can communicate via communication book, twice yearly parent-teacher meeting or phone calls. You can also talk to them when you send your kids to school.

Smitha ganesh
    October 6, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Hi planning to enrol my Son In St. Paul’s kindergarten in 2016 for K1. Any reviews / feedback please ?

October 7, 2015 at 5:26 PM

Hi Smitha,
      Sorry, I’m unable to give you any feedback on St Paul as my son was not studying there.