Education & Enrichment

Learning Chinese (Part 1)

One of my plans for this year is to teach my son how to speak and write in Chinese, from scratch!

Eight months have passed and I’ve actually did nothing about it. I feel so bad. So, I went to Popular book store to get some Chinese workbooks for Little Edison.

I can speak Chinese well, but I can’t write them. I studied in Malay – English medium school when I was young. I took some extra classes on Chinese Language, but I can only read minimal Chinese words. I have to rely on han yu ping ying to read them now.

I started my first attempt to teach Little Edison to write in Chinese last week. I can’t believe it – the first obstacle came as soon as I flipped to the first page! The VERY first page where we need to write our names, to be exact. I can’t even write my son’s name in Chinese (don’t laugh, okay!).

That was my first problem. I learnt to write his name from the Husband.

We proceed to the second page. He learnt to write the basic strokes of Chinese characters – “Heng”, “Shu”, “Dian”, “Gou” etc. It was a good practice and he enjoyed it too.

I should start buying more Chinese educational products now. My colleague recommended to me Shine Kids Book Store. It’s an online shop with a wide variety of Chinese books. I’ve yet to order anything from them but I plan to do so when I have time.

Do you have any good recommendation for Chinese educational products? I love to hear some ideas from you.

mico
    August 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Emily,
    Edison can read chinese words now ? i started using the basic chinese 500 (from popular, recommended by KSP mummy).. it’s effective in teaching my girl to read. each book has 20 new words, we learn one new word per day, now we are into the forth book. u can try too. as for writing, i wont enforce it now, most important is recognise the words and then we shall learn the basic strokes. she can write her surname (ONG, super simple) and some simple ones like “kou”, “fei”,”tian”.. mostly from what she sees.

August 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM

He can read some simple words now. But I can’t really sure if he can recognise the word or read from the picture. 🙂 Thanks for your recommendation on the book of Basic Chinese 500 from Popular. I’ll definitely check it out when I hit the book store.

jaime
    August 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM

hi emily

i am also from ipoh …a total banana…i also sometimes forgot how to write my hubby surname whihc is also my son’s surname even though its the very common “lee”…i totally understand how it feels to be so helpless but yet you wanan do the best to teach chinese
    how old is ur boy?
    i did buy one of the basic chinese 500 (the hanyu pinyin version is ji chu han yu) from popular just last week..he didnt show much interest in it..but he loves the odonata publishing basic set which i bought half a yr ago..its from msia popular
    sg popular does not sell this..

August 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Hi Jaime,
      Nice to meet you here! A total banana, what a term and I like it too! 🙂 Keep in touch again… thanks for your recommendation on the chinese book…

mei
    August 25, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Mei again. Btw I’m from ipoh and do not know chinese 2. Do you teach Edison chinese using HanYu Pin Yin or Odonata method? Which will be more interesting and effective? Btw I also bought the 500 basic chinese from popular. My dd don’t seem to have any interest in chinese. Any advice?

August 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Hi Mei,
      I teach him using Han Yu Pin Yin. I don’t know the Odonata method. I’ve yet to buy the 500 basic chinese book from Popular. I wanted so much to buy it, but have no time to visit Popular book store. My boy isn’t interested to learn Chinese too, so we started slow. It’s also good that he is learning Chinese in school. At least, he can understand simple Chinese although can’t speak well yet.