Our New Home

You might have seen this advertisement on the newspaper recently. It has been published for at least three times since last week.

My father-in-law commented that this boy looks like our dear Edison. I chuckled and said, “Well, yes, that’s him!” Coincidentally, our boy carries the same blue water bottle to school. Haha!

But this advertisement is not the reason why we booked an apartment unit at Bartley Residences.

Our journey to find a new home started late last year. We visited a few projects in Sengkang and Punggol but we couldn’t find one that really suits our requirement.

Early this year, when we knew that Bartley Residences will be launched in the first quarter of 2012, we dropped the whole idea of buying a new home in Sengkang / Punggol and we shifted our target to Bartley / Serangoon area.

The biggest advantage of this project is its location. It’s within walking distance to MRT station, our preferred primary school for Little Edison and my parents-in-law’s house. It’s also within 2km from my office (just one MRT station away!).

V joked that I can trade my car for a bicycle and cycle to work every day, and at the same time, I can shed some kilos too. (indirectly implying that I’m FAT!)

This project has smaller units, and the price is on the high side. As compared to other projects, the facilities in this project aren’t that fantastic either. But there will be a lot of time savings and convenience if we stay here.

We thought about the location, price, unit size and facilities factors over and over again. At the end, we still feel that location is the most important factor to us – mainly because we already had our hearts set on the primary school we wanted to send our boy to. He can conveniently walk to school in future, and we don’t have to worry about school bus, traffic etc.

The developer offers a 20% discount for early birds, so we decided to just bite the bullet and go for it before our choice unit of 3 bedrooms, pool facing and mid-floor are being snapped up. After confirming our booking and paying the first 5%, I heaved a sigh of relief when we returned home.

Last night, when we drove passed the Bartley Residences Show Suites, our boy asked if we can stay there. Apparently, he likes the place a lot too. I smiled and replied, “Not now, son. You have to wait till 2015!”

And from now on, we have to work doubly hard for our new home. Our new future. :)

Comments

1. cheryl says

Hey congrats on your new purchase. I live in the north east too but not exactly sure where Bartley residences is. Is it near the Minton? We bought a unit at the Terasse last year, as we quite like that the location as it isnt far from my kid’s school and not too far from serangoon and hougang mrt too. On the whole, still find serangoon area more central compared to sengkang/punggol area. : )

• Emily says

Hi Cheryl,
      Congratulations to you too! Terrasse is a good choice. We viewed a few projects in Serangoon/Sengkang/Punggol area, including Terrasse, The Minton, A Treasure Trove and Casa Cambio. At the end, we’re left with Terrasse and Bartley Residences. Terrasse is more than 90% sold now. We’re left with only 2 3BR units and pool-facing. I like the 2nd floor unit because it has a huge balcony that connect the living hall and master bedroom. Terrasse is really very beautiful, excellent facilities and huge site area. It’s like staying in a resort every day.

At the end, we still chose Bartley because of its location, MRT and our choice of primary school for Little Edison – even though it’s slightly smaller but more expensive than Terrasse. My only concern if we were to buy Terrasse is the primary school. Even though it’s within 1km from Rosyth and Xin Min, we still stand a slim chance under Phase 2C. For Rosyth, based on past records, balloting starts within 1km and the chance is less than 25%. If we failed to get into Rosyth and Xin Min, our boy will have to go to the neighourhood school that is quite far away.

This is my main concern that stop me from choosing Terrasse, although I really like the place so much.

Secondly, it’s the car park. All new condo nowadays only allocate one car park lot to one unit. We have two cars. So, if we failed to get an additional carpark lot at Terrase, this means I have to sacrifice my car and take a bus to work everyday (there is no direct bus). So, it’s kinda inconvenient. For Bartley, I think the chances of getting a 2nd car park lot is higher because it’s near the MRT and maybe some of the residents don’t have cars. Even if we don’t get the 2nd car park lot, I can still park my car at my PIL’s house which is within walking distance from Bartley.

So, after all the considerations, we go for Bartley. Still don’t know whether it’s the best choice for us. Or whether our son will get a place in our school of choice. Btw, Bartley Residences is just opposite Bartley MRT Station. It’s a new project – just launched two weeks ago.

2. cheryl says

Hi there.. my elder kid is studying in hougang pri and we did not even try for rosyth as it’s simply too hard to get in even though we are currently also within 1 km. I figured a reasonably good pri sch is good enough for her. She’s in primary 2 now and quite happy there so far. Xin Min is also not a bad choice but its further from us. In fact, we even did parent volunteer for hougang pri sch just so that we can be confirmed a place there.

Hope little Edison will get into a good school too. : ) btw my second one is the same age as your boy! : )

• Emily says

Hi Cheryl,
      Nice to hear that your girl is enjoying school at Hougang Pri. Now, your son can get a place under Phase 2A. Easier for you too. :) Yeah, just hope that he can get into our school of choice, cos that’s really the main reason why we choose Bartley Residences. It’s a very expensive investment, haha!

• Emily says

Hi Elaine,
      What’s the name of your old Pre-U? I believe it has been demolished when the government sold the site to the developer. I haven’t seen any building in that site since few years ago.

3. julie says

We just bought a unit at Bartley residences. Ours is ground unit with patio facing greenery. We will be a big family!!! We bought it for the location. It will be convenient for my boy whose school is 2 stations away. If my girl can get into one of the good schools there it will be good too. We like it to be quiet and peaceful, yet not too far from amenties via MRT. Not everyone relishes living in the midst of a crowded centre. we are excited to look forward to our new house. :)

• Emily says

Dear Julie,
      Congratulations! The ground floor unit has a large patio, I’m sure it will be nice to spend family time relaxing there while overlooking the greenery. :) Our unit is on the 6th floor, pool-facing. I think the nearest girl school will be PLMGS. Am I right?

We choose BR for its location and convenience too. In future, when our boy is old enough to go out on his own, he can conveniently take the MRT. And the school that we intend to enroll him is just directly opposite!

I drove passed Bartley Road the other day, and I saw that the construction has started. How fast! We’re really looking forward our new house too. :)

4. rachel says

hi emily,

congrats on ur new nest! saw u mentioned bout the 20% early bird discount, is tt usually applied to all the new apartment/condo? how much u paid for ur unit? i was interested to get one unit too but the price stopped me. haha.. just curious bout the 20% discount, if it applied, it seems ok to get one unit there~

rachel

• Emily says

Hi Rachel,
      Thanks! This 20% early bird discount is given by the developer – Hong Leong Group. Usually, for new projects, the developers will offer some “early-bird” discounts when the projects are launched. These discounts will gradually be reduced, but it also depends on the market response on the project.

If you wish to buy a new condo/apartment, I suggest you book early to get better discounts and you can choose your preferred unit. The later you book, the higher the price usually. We bought ours for $1.33mil. Considered high as compared to other sub-urban projects. But again, if I make a comparison with other condos that is near MRT, the price is reasonable.

• Julie says

Hi Rachel,

I heard they are still giving discount. If you are interested my advice is to go for it fast so that you will get your preferred choice of unit. It is just 2 minutes walk to MRT and near to major express/highways. This is by far the best location my husband and I had been searching around. I can recommend my agent to you – we found he is responsive and sincere.

5. Sabrina says

Hi, happened to chance upon your blog. We got an 3brm at Bartley with the same intentions of getting our boys into Maris Stella! My boy’s also born in 07 so will be in the same year. Good to know a future neighbor :)

• Emily says

Dear Sabrina,
      Nice to know you too, my future neighbour! :) Our boys will go to Maris Stella in the same year too (if we’re both successful). We should keep in touch, who knows maybe our boys will be classmates next time. Pls add me as your friend in FB, will you?

Have a nice weekend! :)