Everyday Things

A Peek into My Life as a Full-Time Working Mom

Over at MamaJ’s blog, there is an interesting linky party called “Day in a Life” where mommies share how their ‘typical’ day looks like, and with pictures. I’ve always wonder how is it like being a stay-at-home mom, how other full-time working moms juggle their career and family, and how a work-from-home mom spends her day.

Through this linky, I get a glimpse into their wonderful world. It’s so exciting to know what other mommies are doing every day. Therefore, I’m inspired to share mine too, and this is a peek into my typical weekday. Hope you’ll enjoy reading it!

Special thanks to MamaJ for starting this linky and all the mommies who have shared their interesting Day in a Life!

6:10am:

My alarm clock buzzes like an angry bumblebee. I creep out of my bed while everyone else is still sound asleep. Today started like any other day in my life – I wake up, take a shower, apply some make-up, get dressed, pack my breakfast to office, and have an enormously large cup of coffee before I start my engine. Coffee addict, anyone?

6:55am:

I wake our boy up and prepare him for school. The Husband goes to work around 7am. Since his office is at the other side of the island, he is excused from the ‘chauffeuring’ duty and he drives to work on his own.

7:25am:

I start the engine and speed off to school. Our boy’s kindergarten is about 20 minutes drive from our home. During the journey, there are 3 things that he’ll likely do in the car: 1) tell me stories, 2) catch some extra 20 minutes of sleep, and 3) have a quick electronics fix on my iPhone.

7am

This is our boy, Little Edison. He’s giving me that ‘why-seven-early-eight-early-take-picture-of-me’ kind of face when I try to snap this picture of him.

7:45am:

Reach school, send our boy into his classroom and give him a goodbye kiss. My parents-in-law will pick him up after school at 11am. Then, I take a slow drive to my office as the traffic is usually heavy by now. This is my first favourite part of my day – I blast my music and catch-up on my Facebook in-between traffics.

8-15am

On my way to office, I drop by my mom-in-law’s place to visit her. She was down with food poisoning since Monday. My FIL has kindly offered to take care of our boy so that we don’t have to take time-off from work.

I’m joking with the Husband that all hell breaks lose today because the disciplinarian is out sick. Both of them will party the whole afternoon, feast on bak kua, potato chips and ice water. I don’t think they will even take their shower. And he laugh!

8:40am:

I reach my office at 8:40am. I boot up my laptop and have my breakfast, while I download my hundreds of e-mails. I respond to the important messages and dash off for my first conference call of the day at 9:00am. *Yawn!*

8am

10:00am:

Back at my desk, respond to all other messages and start my work.

12:00noon:

Lunch time and this is my second favourite part of my day! I have a quick half an hour lunch in my office canteen, which is almost-free. We only need to pay 50 cents for one meal. I spend the next half an hour checking my personal e-mails and catch-up on my blog reading and Facebook.

3pm

1:00pm:

Back to work. I need my coffee! Reports piling up and look at my giant calculator! Am I still awake? You bet! Work, work, work and fast-forward to 6pm. I’m finally awake!

reports

6:00pm:

I leave my office on the dot (secret to survival!). If there is any unfinished business that needs to be solved within the day, I’ll bring them home as my ‘homework’ at night. It has been a great week so far, I haven’t had any ‘homework’ to bring home.

6pm-2

6:10pm:

Reach my parents-in-law’s house, which is just 10 minutes’ drive from my office. Usually, I’ll play a ball game or go cycling with our boy, and take our dinner here before we return to our home. However, my mom-in-law is unwell this week, so we told her not to cook dinner.

6pm

6:30pm:

The Husband is back at my parents-in-law’s house. We go for dinner at one of our favourite restaurants – Wild Oats at Punggol Park. The serving size is quite big, reasonable prices and no service-charge!

Dinner

8:30pm:

Everyone has a full tummy; we take a short walk at the park before we head home.

9:00pm:

We take our shower and get ready for our study time. I spend half an hour doing worksheets with him – it’s either English and Chinese OR Maths and Chinese. After which, we’ll read a book, play some games or watch a cartoon together. I want him to learn Chinese from Kai-Lan, but he chooses Spanish from Dora instead. Argh, my Ang-Moh son!

9pm

10:00pm:

Tug the boy to bed and finally declare ME-TIME! The Husband will attempt to tell me stories about his work now (finally his turn!), even though he knows that I’ll be partially-listening. My battery level is almost flat by now.

Finally, we sit down, exchange our stories, have some snacks and read the newspapers, before we crash into bed at 11:15pm.

I try my best to strike a balance between my career and family life, even though it’s no simple task in today’s fast-paced world. Most of the days, I wake up feeling very lucky and contented for having the life that I want – a great job (although a bit mundane), a great kid (super cute and loving), a great husband (supportive and understanding), wonderful parents-in-law who take great care of Little Edison when we’re at work, and many great life experiences.

I certainly wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world.

Linking up with:

Kam
    October 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM

We FTWMs are pretty similar! Yes, leave on the dot is definitely the most important factor for us to survive!

Me, me, me coffee addict too!! Big cup in the morning, one after lunch if I am too sleepy, or one during lunch if I lunch with kopi kaki, and another boast in the afternoon! Else, can’t work, haha!

October 12, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi Kam,
      My brain can’t function with coffee too! For me, it’s one BIG cup in the morning and another medium cup after lunch. No more coffee after 3pm so that I can sleep better at night.
      I really admire your determination to cook after a long day at work. It’s not easy, I know. I’m lucky to have my MIL to cook for us during weekdays, cos it’s not healthy for our kids to eat out too often. Else, I’ll probably order the take-aways…

Dominique@Dominique's Desk
    October 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Love the peak into your life. Love your HK mug too 😛 It’s great that you can leave on the dot. It was really difficult for me to leave on the dot when I was working FT.

October 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Thanks, Dom! My boss is also a mother, and she leaves on the dot too! Muahaha! Anyway, we know the importance of spending time with family after work. So, we don’t expect our staffs to do a lot of overtime too. 🙂

Ai Sakura
    October 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM

looks like I found another Hello Kitty lover friend 🙂
    And just $0.50 for lunch is pretty amazing!

October 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Hello Ai,
      Yes, we’re big fan of Hello Kitty.. I have Hello Kitty every where – at my home, office and car. Just that I don’t wear Hello Kitty panties, hehehe, not that I don’t want, but I can’t find the adult ones… Haha!

Hello Kitty Theme Park is opening soon in Malaysia. I’m so looking forward to it, what abt you? 🙂

pc
    October 12, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Agree with Mrs Kam, leaving office at the dot is critical!!! I need to discipline my self for that:-/.

October 12, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Hi PC,
      My son has learnt to call me at my office if he doesn’t see me by 6:15pm. That’s a good reminder for me to leave on the dot. 🙂

Angie
    October 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

A fast-paced, hectic, multi-tasking day – we work hard in the office but our reward is the family time that awaits once we knock off! Hope your mil is feeling much better. We’ve not ventured to Punggol Park yet but if we do, we’ll definitely try out Wild Oats! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

October 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Hi Angie,
      I agree with you, nothing beats the precious family time after a long day at work. Are you staying in the North-East too? Wild Oats is quite nice, we like it.

Elisa
    October 12, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Hey, your desk is very neat! 🙂 I am a SAHM now. I miss my lunchtime. Somehow, not tending to my children when they are around, makes me feel guilty…

Wild Oats at Punggol looks good. I must check it out one day. Nice to have a walk after dinner. I feel the restedness from your post.

So your boy get to sleep by 10pm ya? When I was working, my children were sleeping past 10, sometimes 11pm. That was one of the reason I stopped work.

Looks like you are doing well! 🙂 It’s great reading about a FTWM’s life – reminds me of my previous life, haha.

October 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hi Elisa,
      Thanks! My desk is usually neater in the morning. When reports start piling up, it will be a huge mess by lunch hour. Haha! Yes, we like Wild Oats. The atmosphere and ambience is good, it’s not as crowded as other restaurants. The food may not be 5-star, but it’s reasonably-priced (~$15 per main course, ~$8 for kids meal). And no service-charge, difficult to find now. 🙂

My boy goes to sleep at 10pm on weekdays, cos he has to wake up early (6:55am). When the clock hits 10pm, he knows he has to go to bed. No negotiations, haha!

Libby
    October 14, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Maybe can share how you spend your weekends too! Observed that you are a hello kitty fan from your car and office decor. Heehee.

October 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Dear Libby,
      Yes, I’m a big fan of Hello Kitty. 🙂 Hey, that’s a good idea to write a post about my weekends too. Will look into it, thanks for your brilliant idea!

SY
    October 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Oh my god, 50cents for lunch??! You can save a lot of $$$$. Over at the CBD, i find it extremely hard to keep within 10bucks :p

October 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Hi SY,
      Yeah, 50 cents is really a steal. But I find it more of a time-saver than money-saver. I spend less than half an hour to have my lunch. There are hawker centres within walking distance, but looking at the hot sun, I rather not step out of my air-conditioned office. If I were to drive out, given my speed, I’ll surely take more than 1hr to get back. It’s still more convenient to take the 50 cents meal, and don’t complaint. Haha! <3

Eveeleva
    October 17, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Thks for sharing details about ur day. Im a mom of twin boys, they’re about 20mths now n just started childcare. I’ve decided to not continue e my domestic helper m now feeling quite anxious abt having to handle everything. Experiences like yours really help me in my journey!

October 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Dear Eveeleva,
      All the best to you, I’m sure you can handle it well. Just need a bit of determination and time-management. Good luck to you! 🙂

Joy
    December 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Thanks for sharing your day in the life. I always wonder how other families do it – this full time work and small children is certainly a challenge! I was suprised at how late your little Edison stays up, but it sounds like that is the culture there, and great that you still get time to do worksheets with him. My son (just turned 7) wakes up at around 7:15am, and is definitely ready for bed at 7:30pm (which is bed time for both kids at my house) but I rarely get them to bed on time after trying to squish in cooking, eating, baths, stories and homework if he has any. I’d love to be able to find time to work with him like you do, practicing areas he needs help with. At the moment, the iPad is my best friend as I can get him to stay focused on some learning games in the kitchen with me while I cook dinner.

December 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Hi Joy,
      You’re welcome! 🙂
      Wow! Getting to bed at 7:30pm is certainly very early for our culture here. Some of us are probably still having dinner. After which, we still need to spend some family time, do some study etc.