His Primary Two Journey

In a blink of an eye, we’re now into another new school year. Today is Day 7 – to be exact. How’s everyone doing? Truth is, I look sleepier than my boy – still adjusting to my 5:30am alarm.

Edison is in Primary Two this year. So, it’s a lot easier for us (and less nervous too). The only challenge is he must wear shoes with laces this year. The school only allows velcro straps for Primary One boys.

Turned out that teaching him how to tie his shoe laces was a complete nightmare! On his first attempt, he gave up and said, “Mama, please tie the shoe laces for me in the morning.”

To be really honest, I was about to put off the hassle of teaching him how to tie those laces. It’s easier to just tie the laces for him. But again, I thought – What if they came undone at school? What if he needs to remove his school during his PAL lessons?

The mollycoddling has to stop, I’ve finally decided. I explained to him the two scenarios above where he needs to tie his own shoe laces at school. I also warned him that I can’t be at school to do it for him.

Then, he agreed to try it again. On his third attempt, he eventually succeeded. I was watching him from one corner as he tried and tried. And I was amazed by his determination. When he finally made it, he was beaming with pride and excitement.

I took a photo of him on the first day of school, and comparing it to 2 Jan 2014, this is what I’ve got:

P1 vs P2

Basically, he was wearing the same piece of uniform. Last year, the pants were too loose for him (even though it’s the smallest size). This year, the pants fitted nicely. I bought new PE attires him for him as the old ones were rather stained.

In terms of routine, it’s pretty much the same. He attends 1.5 hour of Chinese enrichment lesson on Wednesday evening and 1.5 hour of English Composition lesson on Saturday morning. Sunday is kept free as our family day.

I spend about half an hour every night to do revisions with him. We spend a big part of our weekend mornings doing worksheets, reading his Chinese textbooks and practicing for his spelling / dictation tests. The rest of the time, I’ll leave him to enjoy whatever that’s left in his idyllic childhood.

I don’t want to be a tiger mum, roaring at him all the way through his Primary school journey. I still want to remain a sane mum who is not fixated with A grades, and most importantly, he enjoys his learning and does not lag so far behind that his self-esteem suffers.

He may not grow up to be a scientist or doctor, but I’m hoping he would at least have some happy memories of his primary school days to bank on. And always remember me as a mum who has provided him with endless support, guidance, care and faith during his learning journey.

January 18, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Can I have your feedback on the english creative writing class? I guess it is at J&E. I am wondering if it helps your boy think and write better? How about grammar & vocabulary?

January 20, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Dear Alicia,
      Yes, my boy is taking the English Creative Writing class at J&E since P1. He really enjoys the lessons as they are fun and engaging. The course also includes grammar and vocabulary, besides writing itself. He also learns about idioms, writing proper sentence structure, how to generate ideas for writing, and of course tips to score in his compo test. The course materials are really good too. Lastly, yes, he’s certainly improving in English composition. This year, it will be a lot tougher, so I’m also putting more focus and practice for him in compo.

Hope this helps. Pls feel free to ask if you have any more questions. 🙂

January 21, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Thanks Emily.
    Great to know that your boy is coping very well in school and enjoying his extra lessons.
    My P1 boy being complaint by his tutor (home-based in group) that he is mischievous in the class. She is not able to cope with him and ask me to consider a change of tutor if he don’t cooperate. I am disappointed with such comments. His other tutors do not have such issue. I find that she is only interested to teach and nothing else. Maybe the lesson is too dry to sit through for 2hrs. He has no problem in EL but weak in writing composition so may consider to stop the class even this tutor has good reputation in bring up the grade. I am more concerned about his ability and interest to write than getting good grade.
    I realise it is not easy to get good EL tutor that can suit my schedule. Now I am reconsidering J&E though it is inconvience for me.
    Apologise if I vent my problem here.

January 22, 2015 at 8:36 AM

Dear Alicia,
      No problem at all, I’m glad that you’re willing to share with me. 2 hours lesson is indeed quite long. Moreover, if the lesson is not interesting enough, the child will easily get distracted – especially for boys (you know la, shorter attention span in general).

J&E lessons are fun and engaging. I can’t tell you how much my boy enjoys his lesson. In fact, he told me he wanted to continue in P2 before I even asked him. His teacher there is Teacher Jamie and he really likes him a lot.

I can understand how you feel when you heard of such comments. Some teachers are patient and will do their best to ensure that all children are paying attention. But unfortunately, not all are like that. It never occur to them why these kids are not paying attention. Maybe they should do something to their lesson.

Try to talk to your son about the problem he’s facing with the current tutor and whether he wants to change to another school. Most importantly, he enjoys the learning and doesn’t drag his feet to his lessons. All the best, ya!

flanna chong
      January 29, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Hi Alicia..im keen to know more about the tutor whom you mentioned …could you please contact me at my mobile 97927396? Many thanks

Nathalie Lee
    September 11, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Love how your son is so determined and passionate. Of course, you’re a great parent to start with, knowing that you dont want to stress your son too much with A grades. Tuitions are great to prepare your kid for whatever that is coming next. This site might help: http://www.einsteintuition.sg