About Edison

Viral Infection

My poor boy has been sick since Sunday evening. It’s a combination of cough, runny nose and low-grade fever. When he is down with fever, it’s enough to wear me out as it means I have to wake up in the middle of the night to check on his temperature and feed him with paracetamol or sponge him to bring down his temperature.

We brought him to the general practitioner on Sunday as his pediatrician was not available. He was prescribed medicine for his cough and runny nose. He didn’t eat much during dinner. After taking his medicine, he was drowsy and fast asleep.

In the middle of the night, he woke up and vomitted all over his bed. The next one hour was mad cleaning, changing the bed sheet and calming him down. He was crying when he said, “Mama, I’m not feeling well.” These words totally broke my heart. I pat him to sleep and I assured him that he will be fine tomorrow.

Monday morning, I called my boss to inform her that I’ve to take urgent childcare leave to take care of my son. She immediately responded that sick kids come first and she will help to cover my duties when I’m out. I know that I’m very fortunate to have such an understanding boss. She is a mother of two boys; she understands that work absolutely has to take a backseat when the kids are sick.

I’m glad that I can work from home too. When Little Edison was napping, I quickly check my e-mails, churn out my reports and follow-up on urgent issues. In the afternoon, he seems to feel better. He was back to his usual active self again, running around in the garden and spraying water everywhere.

Unfortunately, his fever returned at night. He was crying again and he couldn’t sleep well. Tuesday morning, he vomitted twice after taking his milk and medicine. His appetite has been very poor. Something is not quite right. His low-grade fever has been lingering for the past three days. So, we brought him to the pediatrician.

According to Dr. Ratna, he has symptoms of viral infection. These viruses are easily transmitted through contact with the secretions of infected people. The first symptom to develop is usually irritation in the nose and throat, then nasal congestion, sore throat, coughing, and runny nose. Nasal secretions are thin and profuse initially, but become thick and yellow as infection progresses.

She gave him a thorough examination on his lungs, ears, nose and throat. She assured us that he is fine and the viral infection usually stops in 4 to 5 days.

Hope he will get well very very soon.



cheryl January 27, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Hey I’ve been following your blog for a while, and my son is around your boy’s age too. My son also fell ill recently due to viral infection. He also had fever that came and went. Now he’s okay but still continues to cough.. We just brought him to the PD yesterday evening! Hope our kids get well soon to enjoy cny!

You can view my blog at:

Samantha January 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Speedy recovery, Edison!! Mummy must take care too!

Emily January 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Hi Cheryl & Sam,
Thanks for your concern. Luckily, Little Edison is well now… 🙂


Leave a Comment