I’ve to admit that I didn’t pay much attention in choosing a school bag for Edison last year when he was about to embark on his Primary One journey. The main reason is because he has a locker at school, so I was under the impression that his school bag will not be heavy.
But I was so wrong.
It turned out that the average weight of his school bag is 4kg (that’s a quarter of his body weight!) So I imagine myself carrying an 11kg bag to work (11kg = 1/4 of my body weight). That looks really awful and the possibility of Edison stressing his spine is real.
The irritating thing about kids is that they like to carry everything to school. When he’s unsure, he packs everything. When he’s paranoid of forgetting something, he packs everything. When he’s too lazy to unpack, he packs everything. Conclusion – he still packs everything to school. And I also realized he didn’t use the school locker at all!
The main problems associated with his current school bag are:
1) The base of the bag dropped below his waist line, so he tends to lean forward to counter-balance the weight of the bag. This contributes to poor posture and can potentially be a source of musculoskeletal pains.
2) The bag doesn’t have a firm base. Hence, it tends to topple over when put on the floor. I knew this because I often see foot prints on his bag. Urgh!
3) The books can’t sit firmly in the bag because the base is not strong enough. As a result, the books are often twisted and folded at the corners (“plastic bag” effect). He also couldn’t retrieve the books easily from his bag.
4) The padding does not provide any ergonomic benefits and has poor ventilation. This explains why his shirt is often soaking in sweat by the time he reached home.
Choosing an appropriate school bag, having it fitted correctly and wearing it properly is extremely important to ensure healthy development of our children’s spine. A poorly fitted or excessively heavy school bag can cause a number of health issues such as scoliosis, neck pain, headaches, shoulder pain, lower back pain and poor posture.
Posture problems and spinal pain in children can potentially lead to permanent spinal damage in later years. This is the MAIN ISSUE that I’m concerned about. However, many of these issues can be prevented by choosing the right ergonomic school bag and wearing it properly.
Tips for Choosing the Right School Bag
- Choose a backpack with two even straps which allow the weight of the load to be evenly distributed over the body. A waist belt or Chest Stabilization Strap will also help to keep the bag close to the body when moving around. All straps should ideally be padded.
- Opt for a bag that fits your child and is appropriate to their body size. It should rest comfortably against their back. Avoid school bags that are wider than your child’s body size.
- The bag should have adjustable buckles or straps to lower or lift the pack into the appropriate position.
- The bag should also be well padded where it touches the back.
Recently, I came across IMPACT Ergo-Comfort Spinal Protection school bag from one of its showrooms ERGOWORKS at Marina Square #03-337, which is stone throw from the Pan Pacific Hai Tien Lo restaurant. I was instantly captivated by its design, structure and spinal protection benefits.
Before I go any further, please allow me to give you a brief introduction of this brand which I have researched.
IMPACT is the only multi-awarded ergonomic brand founded in Singapore since 1997, and also the only ergonomic brand medically endorsed and recommended by both the Singapore Physiotherapy Association & The Chiropractic Association (Singapore). IMPACT ergonomic products are widely distributed internationally, voted as most favourite ergonomic school bag and Best of the Best ergonomic products by reputable magazines, well trusted by many parents, schools and children for past 17 years.
So, I’m curious to find out how IMPACT Ergo-Comfort Spinal Protection school bag can address all my needs and prove itself to be the BEST ergonomic school bag for Edison. I’ll go through in details now.
My Review on IMPACT Ergo-Comfort Spinal Protection School Bag
1. Firstly, the bag weighs about 1kg, considering an ergonomic bag at this size, so it’s super lightweight. The wide padded backpack straps provide stress-free support to the shoulders (feel like bungee straps); hence I don’t really feel the weight of the bag itself. The chest stabilizer belt reduces swinging movement and distributes the load evenly.
2. I really like the book divider with inner suspension straps to keep books and files neatly in the bag. The contents are held in a vertical position, and thus easy to be retrieved from the bag. The base is non-slip, firm and strong so there is no more “plastic bag” effect.
3. There are 2 side pockets designed for water bottles and small accessories. The bag is also fitted with USA 3M Scotchlite reflective strips and logo to provide better safety at night and low light situation. The bag is made of durable, water and UV resistant materials.
4. What I like best is the good air breathable ventilation system. So it provides the comfort when he’s walking home from school under the hot sun.
5. Most importantly, the professional Spinal Care Systems provides excellent support to the contour of the back while effectively distributing the weight equally on the surface of entire back. Edison’s posture is greatly improved with IMPACT ergonomic school bag.
6. The bag also comes with a warranty of 180 days from the date of purchase against manufacturing faults and defective parts. ERGOWORKS provide after sales support and 20% trade in royalty program, that’s going to save a lot on next upgrade of IMPACT bag!
7. This feature may not be useful to him now, but I’m sure he will love it in 2-3 years time. There is a headphone speaker hole on the bag. So, he can enjoy his favourite music when he’s travelling.
Edison was truly excited with his new school bag. He commented that the bag is so comfortable to carry, and the straps are easily adjustable with their EZ parachute pull tabs. That’s the quickest and easiest adjustment I’ve ever seen!
Shopping Experience at ERGOWORKS Showroom
Our overall shopping experience at ERGOWORKS showroom has been an enjoyable one. The staffs are very patient in addressing our queries and pro-active in recommending the bags suitable for our needs.
Last weekend, the showroom was full of parents shopping for ergonomic school bags and ergonomic desks and chairs for their children.
The showroom is spacious and all the products are organized neatly to give customers a pleasant shopping experience. There is a wide range of ergonomic school bags; we’re simply spoilt by choices. They come various sizes and functionalities – you can certainly find one that suits your needs.
Besides the IMPACT ergonomic school bags, there are many other ergonomic products such as DUOREST ergonomic chair, IMPACT ergonomic desk + chair set and get ready to indulge by wide selection of posture, back care products for entire family members!
For the health, comfort and safety of your children, I strongly recommend IMPACT Ergo-Comfort Spinal Support Backpack to you. Priced between $49.90 to $129.00, it is very reasonable – given the durability, fine workmanship, assembled by ISO certified manufacturer with more than 30 years of fine bags making experience and made with Korea superior grade materials.
IMPACT is the lightest ergonomic school bags in its class with durability tested by SGS and PSB. It’s also medically endorsed and recommended by posture experts. So, I’m assured of its quality and spinal protection benefits.
With IMPACT Ergo-Comfort Spinal Support Backpack, I’m glad to give Edison a GREAT START to Primary 2.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by Ergoworks.