KidZania, the world’s fastest growing family edutainment centre is scheduled to open in Singapore in April 2016. Yay, it’s just two months from now and we’ll get to visit this amazing kid-sized city at Palawan Beach, Sentosa. 🙂
Best suited for children aged four and above, KidZania operates just like a real city complete with buildings, paved streets, vehicles, a working economy and recognisable destinations in the form of “establishments” branded by local and international brands. Through realistic role-play activities, these establishments are designed to educate through experiences, foster the development of life skills, and empower our children to pursue their dreams.
For instance, children will work as certain profession and get paid with KidZania’s very own currency, KidZos – they can either spend or save them. They also have an option to deposit the money into their bank account. In KidZania, children play the adult roles. ^ ^
First of all, I want you to know that KidZania, which was founded in Mexico City in 1999, is now opened in 21 locations, such as Tokyo, Jakarta, Dubai, Seoul, KL, Bangkok, London, Manila, and the latest in Moscow.
With its 22nd location opening here in Singapore, this extraordinary family edutainment centre boasts 7,600 square metres, in a place where kids rule. KidZania is brought to Singapore by Themed Attractions and Resorts Sdn. Bhd. (the same team behind KidZania KL, LEGOLAND Malaysia, Sanrio Hello Kitty Town and The Little Big Club in Nusajaya, Johor).
We’re thankful to be given the opportunity to fly over to KidZania KL and be able to share with you a kid’s-eye preview of KidZania that will be opening here in Singapore this April. And here’s a preview written in a “what-to-expect” format:
What to Expect at KidZania
1. Unlike other theme parks, KidZania does not feature any rides or arcade games, but what you can see here totally amazes you!
KidZania combines role-playing with real-life experiences by replicating the real world, scaled to a child’s size, in a safe and self-contained city environment. The whole city looks so organized and real, I could hardly believe my eyes when I stepped in.
Here’s a look inside the city of KidZania KL!
Airport counters at the entrance
KidZania KL in vibrant Chinese New Year decor
2. When you check-in at KidZania International Airport, you’ll receive RFID security bracelets, boarding passes, map and a cheque for 50 KidZos (for every child aged 4 and above).
You and your child are given matching RFID bracelets when you enter. These bracelets ensure that your child cannot leave the centre without you. This is good news for all parents – you can relax at the parent’s lounge equipped with WIFI (exclusively for adults), without worrying about your kid’s safety.
Your child will use the 50 KidZos to either pay for certain activities and products or they can save them to open a bank account. So, the first thing to do when you enter is to bring them to the bank to open a bank account or cash the cheque.
3. Your child will have a plethora of choices as to where to seek and explore different professions.
Have your kids ever dreamt of becoming a pilot, a firefighter, or a surgeon? Now, you can watch the excitement on their faces as they explore more than 60 real life role-play activities in the bank, on stage or fire-fighting on the street! Each role-play experience is crafted to teach our kids essential life skills including financial literacy, team work and decision making.
Edison was having fun being a dentist. The patient looked so real, and at first glance, I thought he was a real person! The dentistry equipment was so real that you can see water flowing out of the tube as Edison was cleaning his patient’s teeth.
A signboard outside each establishment showing the capacity, suggested age, duration and KidZos earned
4. There’s a variety of food and beverage outlets available inside KidZania.
No worry about being hungry if you’re planning for a full-day outing at KidZania. There are various F&B outlets. One of the staffs at KidZania KL shared with me that some smart kids will choose to work at the burger shop. They can then take their burgers out with them. Kids are very smart these days!
The parents-only lounge that is equipped with sofas, massage chairs and WIFI
5. Parents are not allowed inside the establishments, a group of trained supervisors will take care of the kids.
Parents are not allowed to enter the establishments or interfere with the kids when they are busy with activities – they can only take photos from the outside. A group of trained supervisors will give the kids a briefing before they hands-on with their profession (complete with uniform and equipment).
Here’s are some professions that Edison really likes:
- Dentist – he enjoyed checking and cleaning his patient’s teeth
- Surgeon – he was excited with anaesthetising a patient on an operating table
- Secret agent – he gets to perform certain stunts like jumping off a rope
Now, I’ll share with you some useful tips to plan for your visit to KidZania.
1. Dress code – If your kids would like to participate in any wall-climbing or air-conditioning activities, they have to wear sensible footwear and girls need to wear suitable trousers. Flips-flops, sandals or loose fitted shoes are not allowed.
2. Pick your top 3 – With so many activities available, it might seem a little overwhelming for your kids to choose their first job. At the start, check out the list of all available activities and pick their top three. Some activities have scheduled start times, you may need to check those as well. Once they tried their top three, they will be familiar with the city and will be able to explore the rest on their own.
Flight simulator that certainly worth the wait!
Note: Some popular establishments have longer queue, i.e. the flight simulator. I highly recommend the flight simulator to give our kids a chance to see the cock pit and experience being a pilot / cabin crew (wearing the pilot uniform is a thrill too!)
3. Visit the Bank and Departmental Store – At the bank, kids can open their own account and receive an ATM card. KidZos stored in their ATM card can be used in their next visit. The Departmental Store is where your kids get to spend their hard-earned KidZos.
Are you and your kids looking forward to the opening of KidZania Singapore? Leave a comment and tell us! Of course, we are!
Palawan Kidz City. 31 Beach View #01-01/02 Singapore 098008
Official Webpages: Website | Facebook Page | Instagram
Useful Info: Ticket Prices | Getting Here | Opening Hours | Promotions